• Instagram has added features to the app that allows users to read verified COVID-19 updates and news.
• Instagram also allows users to video chat with existing users while concurrently browsing posts on the app.
While Instagram traffic has drastically increased over the Coronavirus lockdown period, the application is also working towards spreading safety tips and Coronavirus linked verified updates. This means that users accessing the apps in affected areas get to read information officially released by WHO.int and medical professionals.
Instagram allows users to video chat with existing users via direct messages or an inbox thread. Along with this feature, there is also a wide array of stickers that helps readers verify and share accurate COVID-19 information and distinguish them from fraudulent news.
Instagram writes in a Blog Post:
- ” Today we’re announcing additional updates:
Including more educational resources in Instagram Search
- Adding stickers to promote accurate information
- Removing COVID-19 accounts from recommendations, unless posted by a credible health organization
- Creating a shared story to help those practicing social distancing connect with others, using a “Stay Home” sticker
- Launching a new way to browse Instagram with friends over video chat”.
While the spread of inaccurate information regarding COVID-19 is a massive challenge for the Facebook acquired the app, Instagram is actively working towards downsizing the number of posts that contain false information – which is checked with the help of various intermediary apps.
Instagram also encourages social distancing by promoting their latest “Stay Home” sticker. Many practices by Instagram are meant to bring a better understanding of the COVID-19 situation. The app encourages appropriate actions while dealing with the Coronavirus pandemic.