- Sony rolls out updates for its PlayStation App, Remote Play, on iOS and Android
- New app features redesigned user interface, voice chat, and Party Groups
- Users can remotely manage the storage space of their consoles via PS App
Sony, in preparation for its PS5 release, has rolled out an update for its Remote Play app. The new app features a total redesign, voice chat, PS Store integration, other PS5 exclusive features. The latest version 4.0.0 of the new app will be ready for the PlayStation 5 shipping next month. Sony introduced it as “a new way to amplify your connections with friends, and the games you love to play.” The new app now complements the gaming experience on both PS4 and PS5 consoles. The redesigned app will be available on iOS and Android devices.
The key updated features for the PS App
- Updated User Interface – users will notice the sleek new UI of the redesigned PS App. Now the home screen shows what your friends are playing. It also displays details about your recent games along with the Trophy List.
- Messages Integration – The PS Messages app feature is integrated into the updated PS App. It will provide a unified experience for users. And they will be able to message their friends seamlessly. The PS Messages, with the integration, will not be available as a standalone app anymore. All the existing Messages and threads within the PS Messages will be shifted over to the updated PS App.
- Voice Chat and Party Groups – The PS App now allows users to create party groups within the app. Users can also voice chat with up to 15 other friends through their mobile phones.
- Remote Downloads and Natively Integrated PlayStation – With the new PS Store, Sony provides fast and smooth shopping and browsing experience. Users will be able to download games remotely and add-ons directly to their PS4 and PS5.
- New Features for PS5 – With the arrival of PS5, users will be able to launch games remotely. It enables quick sign in to PS5 from the mobile app. If the storage space is running out while downloading games, they can manage storage on their consoles straight from the app.
- PlayStation News – The Explore tab in the app brings Official News from game developers. The PS Blog content will help users to stay updated with the PlayStation world.
The Remote Play was limited to Sony Xperia devices but was later opened up to all Android devices in 2019. This update will drop support for Android 5 Lollipop and Android 6 Marshmallow. The new PlayStation 5 will launch in the U.S., Canada, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand on November 12. And on November 19 for the rest of the world.